Monday 7 May 2018

Music - Shopping list and production list.

Back when I cased my guitars for a while (almost 5 years ago!) I sold quite a bit of gear to help fund some furniture and home upgrades. Mostly pedals...but I did part with my 1978 Gibson RD Custom, an amazing guitar... sad day.  I'll get another RD one day, but it's not something I'm planning on grabbing short term.

After messing around in my semi-redone office this weekend I found a few things. out. First off, I downloaded the demo version of Toontracks EZDrummer and I am hooked. I love this software. I am still scratching the surface on it, but in what felt like 10 minutes I had a full drum track ready to go for my new song and it felt good. It is a pretty powerful software, and I'm sure once I learn it better I'll be able to do exactly what I need to create the sounds I want. So, my own copy of EZDrummer makes it to the top of the list really quickly.

I'm using my old copy of Cubase5 right now to produce on, and currently I see no need to switch out from that. I used to know Cubase pretty good, so I figure unless there is a real need to upgrade to the current version this should do me good for now.

For guitar tones I have most of my guitars at home right now, but no amp. I also live in a townhome and share walls, so I don't think cranking my Orange half-stack will win me many favors, especially since most of this will be done in the 8-10pm range. So I sat down and setup my Line 6 POD HD500.

It wasn't too bad, really I was getting very usable guitar tones, and without any of the fuss of micing cabs. They are heavily compressed, but they got some thump and definition so they will do for now. Eventually, when the money allows I will get a Helix from Line6 to replace the HD500. However, I am a lover of my Orange amps.

I went on a bit of a trip with amps for a while. My main amp for years was a Vox AC30 from 1973. I love this amp, it's one of my most prized pieces of creative equipment. My backup amp was an Orange AD30 twin channel combo. I also loved this amp, but it was terrible with pedals as it had no FX loop and the dirty channel was messy and full of crunch. Just what I love! So I sold it when my last band formed. I went through a few different amps at the time as we had a very different sound than my old band... I played Mesa's, Blackstar, PRS... but eventually ended up with an Orange Rockerverb 50 (original version). I really want to use this amp again... So I'm going to look into getting a speaker load/cab simulator DI box. Most likely either the Radial or Mesa-Boogie offerings.

Then I need to get a bass. I can only fake bass for so long using the POD's octave down FX. I have always wanted a Thunderbird. But a Gibson is way out of the price range. So I will keep my eyes open for a used Epiphone to show up. I will just rent a bass for now when I need to lay some bass tracks, but eventually I'll get my own.

Then I need to get a mic and some cables back into my life, not to mention restring my guitars...they need it badly. I'll probably drop a gauge to save my fingers, go back to 10's from 11's for now on most...aside from my PRS, that thing is so perfectly setup with 11-52 that I can't think of changing now!

So yea... to recap:
Step 1: Restring guitars
Step 2: Buy a copy of Toontrack EZDrummer
Step 3: Speaker Load/Cab simulator DI box for my Orange Amp
Step 4: good vocal mic and some cables
Step 5: a new used bass

No comments:

Post a Comment